Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Swim League

ED and AM are now swimming every day. The YMCA started a new swim team just for the summer. There are about twenty kids ranging in age from 5 to 13, and only two have ever been on a swim team before. It's a great set-up for those of us who don't feel the need to push our children to win the Olympics. I'm really pleased.

They practice at the Y where there are kids' classes and nurseries for the three younger girls, and workout equipment for me. They practice for an hour a day getting instruction from one of the best coaches in the area and a bunch of teenagers from the year-round team.

There will be six meets against other "young" teams, (so there might actually be a chance of winning). It only costs $35 dollars. I can't believe it! I'll say it again, I'm really pleased! I think we'll plan to do this every summer. LL will get to be on it next year, and she can't wait.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I love the Y and miss it. Three things I miss from Colorado the most, the Y, the library, and our neighborhood pool. That swim program sounds awesome. I would love to put my kids in something like that. Maybe I should start one here...then again I don't even have time to do my laundry.

PS we tried the candy bars for the second week this week. It worked! We had practices at scripture time and gave them little bars. Thanks for the idea.

Erin said...

Summer is all about swimming!

When I was a little girl my family called me a fish... I never wanted to get out of the pool! I LOVE it!!

Jules said...

That sounds wonderful. I love inexpensive ways to keep our kids active. We got passes to Seven Peaks so the kids could swim all summer, then I had surgery. I don't know how much we'll get to use them, but it's still very fun. We look forward to August, I hope you can fit us in. Adam is anxious to catch up with Derrell. Thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog, Julie.

Rachelle said...

I had no idea that was available at the Y for such a great price! I'm amazed! Wish I would have known about it earlier...Oh well, baseball for Hayden and t-ball for Jackson is enough for right now....too much running around, especially when you throw in scouts and other activities!

Good seeing you the other day!

Derrell said...

Rachelle,
I don't think it was well publicized. I wouldn't have known about it had I not approached Marcia about swim lesson info. You can get your boys involved next year if you're still around! :-)