Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Learning English

This morning our 22-month-old kept saying "duhrt". After a while I realized that she was asking for something. She got quite insistent and somewhat frustrated when I couldn't figure out what she wanted.

I tried everything:
drink? no.
are you hurt? no.
something with your foot? no.

Then she got distracted by her sister. I thought the translating game was over.

Nope.

She then brought me into the kitchen pointing to the refrigerator. I opened it up and started over:
drink? no.
carrot? no.
cheese? no. (I realize this sounds nothing like "duhrt", but we were desperate at this point!)

Then the light went on (you'd think since this is my fifth child, I would have done this sooner). I put her down and say, "Show me".

She moves a couple things around on the bottom shelf and points to "duhrt".

YOGURT!

whew. Who says a stay-at-home mom doesn't need an education?

5 comments:

David Y. said...

Funny story. It's fun to see how different kids (mis)pronounce words.

I quietly mourned a little yesterday when I realized that our little Emma no longer says "drop-drop" for the word "coughdrop."

Janet said...

Cute...I'm glad you figured it out for her. Such a cute story. I obviously haven't visited your blog for a bit. We love Pinkalicious too but haven't had any followers. I think we are out of that stage. I am so sorry about NE. You just have to laugh about it. She did look cute. The hair thing is so hard. You work so hard to let it grow, but yes, it will grow back. Congratulations to Derrell. You guys deserve it. The light is shining brighter at the end of the tunnel.

Rachelle said...

That's adorable! I guess you need another lesson on "fantastic little-one english". There may be a special course somewhere....or, just let her teach you for free!

Euroca said...

That's cute and aren't you glad thas she wasn't showing you a pile of dirt someone put in the fridge? Alison used to draw pictures in the air when she was trying to describe what she wanted.

Kelly said...

love it :)